Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Earthquake!

Yesterday our city was rocked by an earthquake that measured 5.9 on the Richter scale. Orlando was home at the time, Anastasia was enjoying her second day of Kindergarten, and Myney and I were at work. Since I work on the 10th floor, once it was safe to evacuate, we were none too keen to head back upstairs. I also wasn't really interested in taking the subway, so it was a 2+ mile walk for me to get home.

Since cellphone service was spotty at best, I relied on text messages mostly, but even they weren't getting through to the family here. Folks in Texas knew more about my status that my own husband.

When I arrived home, I found Orlando enjoying a peaceful afternoon waiting for school to let out. He was unaware that students had been evacuated from their classrooms and were just waiting in the school cafeteria for parents to arrive. So, we walked together to get our little girl, who was very excited to tell us all about the "big bump" that hit the school.

Home safe, we talked about our very different experiences during the 45 second event. My office shook pretty violently, Myney was in a meeting, and her work was largely uninterupted. Orlando was unperterbed by the rumbles, and the dogs were oblivious to it.

In the house, we saw no damage, though a couple of books did fall off of Anastasia's bookshelf, and the wooden letters that spell "Annie" above her door also fell.

No pictures of the damage, suffice it to say that we're all fine and have felt no aftershocks since the initial event. Thanks to all who checked in on us in the aftermath.

No comments: