Thursday, August 13, 2009

Party Preparations Begin

In the last few months, Anastasia has gotten very into Scooby Doo. She really likes the live action movies from a few years ago with Freddie Prinz, Jr, and she loves the original animated series "Scooby Doo, Where Are You". Orlando has quite a few episodes downloaded on his phone, and many mornings we're roused by the theme music before our alarms start. Then a few weeks ago she picked up a piece of mail and said "look, I found a clue. And look, more bad stuff".

So, when it came to planning her birthday party, it seemed pretty simple to do a Scooby party. Orlando and I were talking about it, and it was a logical next step to have the kids paint scary masks during the party. So, today, in preparation for this (possibly ill advised) activity, Anastasia and I covered baloons in papier mache.

We started by ripping lots of newspaper into strips.



I had hoped to get a picture of us working with the goop, but it was altogether too messy for me to even consider picking up the camera. We covered 4 balloons, which have now dried and will be painted white and cut in half to be turned into masks for the kids to paint at the party on the 23rd.

1 comment:

Abby said...

So just to be clear, I'll need to bring my own scary mask to paint as I happen to be a party guest over the age of 5? That sounds like a project for this weekend....make scary looking mask that still allows for cocktail drinking when worn.